*Myanmar: Cyclone Nargis Emergency Appeal No. MDRMM002 Operations*
Update No. 27
Source: International Federation of Red Cross And Red Crescent Societies
Date: 02 Mar 2010
Full_Report (pdf* format - 1.1 Mbytes)
GLIDE n° TC-2008-000057-MMR
Period covered by this update: September 2009 to end of January 2010
Appeal target: CHF 73,987,907 million
Appeal coverage: 96%
- 8 July 2008: A revised emergency appeal was launched for CHF 73.9 million
(USD 72.5 million or EUR 45.9 million) to assist 100,000 households for 36
- 16 May 2008: An emergency appeal was launched for CHF 52,857,809 (USD 50.8
million or EUR 32.7 million) to assist 100,000 households for 36 months.
- 6 May 2008: A preliminary emergency appeal was launched for CHF 6,290,909
(USD 5.9 million or EUR 3.86 million) to assist 30,000 households for six
- 5 May 2008: CHF 200,000 (USD 190,000 or EUR 123,000) was allocated from
the IFRC's Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF).
- The end of the rains in September enabled greater outreach towards
vulnerable communities through the shelter and livelihoods projects during
this reporting period, thanks to sustained efforts at hub level in these
initiatives. Similarly, water, sanitation and hygiene promotion projects
continued to reach large numbers of vulnerable households across all
targeted townships. The communitybased health and first aid programme also
made good progress primarily through trained community volunteers and Red
- A high level of community participation continues to be an integral factor
in the success of field activities.
- The joint technical visit by three partner national societies in November,
aimed at a preliminary review of the recovery and accountability framework
across the shelter and livelihoods recovery programmes, was conducted
successfully. A draft report of the findings has been prepared, and once
final revisions are approved, this will be circulated to all partners and
will be a topic for discussion during the partnership meeting in Bangkok on
30-31 March 2010.